|Project Manager (PM)
|Office based at Dhadingbesi, with frequent travel to fields
|Duration of Contract:
|One year initially with possibility of extension depending upon funding availability and performance appraisal
|Executive Director and ChildFund Japan
|Project Training Coordinator, Field Program Officers, Communications and Documentation Officer
|Level of contact with children
|High and frequent interaction with children
|SAFE (Securing Access for Education) Project
Prayatnashil Community Development Society (PRAYAS-Nepal) is a Non-Governmental Organization dedicated towards improving livelihoods, health, good-governance, and the well-being of poor and marginalized people. PRAYAS Nepal focuses on children, women, marginalized and rural communities aiming to set holistic development goals to create a transformed and interdependent Nepali society. PRAYAS-Nepal is working with Nepalese children to provide quality education, dignity and respect within families, food security, income generating support, health, and security regardless of their gender, ethnicity, and religion.
PRAYAS Nepal implemented a nine-month start-up phase of “Education for Hope” project during March- September 2022 funded by ChildFund Japan (CFJ) Head Office in 19 public schools of ward number 6, 8 and 10 of BenighatRorang Rural Municipality of Dhading. Upon successful completion of the start-up phase, PRAYAS Nepal and ChildFund Japan Nepal Office has entered into partnership to implement long term programs in Dhading district. With this development, ChildFund Japan Nepal Office (CFJ NO) and PRAYAS Nepal will implementa five-year Securing Access for Education (SAFE) Project in the same project locations. In relation to ensure children’s right to quality education, and healthy livelihoods, SAFE project envisions to improve teaching-learning environment of schools, teacher capacity building, WASH, and empower communities for their quality contribution for education and health of their children at schools, homes, and at communities. PRAYAS Nepal seeks applications from qualified Nepali candidates as Project Manager to lead this project.
SAFE project is a holistic education project aiming to ensure access to and quality of education in 19 public schools of ward no 6, 8 and 10 of BenighatRorang Rural Municipality of Dhading district. This position holder is responsible for overall management of project, ensuring effective and efficient implementation of the project deliverables in timely manner. The Project Manager will play a key role in building program quality and effectiveness with specific responsibilities in budget management, implementation, monitoring, training, and liaison with other stakeholders. This position holder cares for staff management including their capacity building, conducts review and planning meetings, and assists the project team in ensuring quality deliverables at field level. Quality reporting to the donor, SWC, and other government agencies also is a key role of this position. S/he should ensure that the principles, standards and procedures of safeguarding and protection of children are strictly maintained during implementation project activities. Since this is a senior level position, PRAYAS Nepal expects contributions from this position for organizational development and strengthen institutional capacities.
Key job responsibilities:
Specific responsibilities for PM will include, but not limited to the following tasks:
I. Program Management:
- Support project implementation by leading all aspects of project and budget management for SAFE Project,
- Finalize the draft work plan, budget (WP&B), supplementary plan, and budget (SP&B) in time and make their submission to Executive Director (ED) and ChildFund Japan (CFJ) within deadline.
- Finalize the draft monthly/quarterly (photo, case study) /annual report and make their submission to ED and CFJ within deadline.
- Ensure submission of quality Individual Progress Report (IPR) of sponsored children (SC) and photos of SC in time.
- Lead and supervise project implementation team, facilitate field-based activity planning and track effectively the timely planning of project activities and execution.
- Ensure effective and timely communication and coordination with government line agencies, concerned stakeholders and like-minded partners.
II. Program implementation, monitoring and reporting:
- Lead all the project activity implementation process and ensures that project implementation is as planned and make necessary changes priorly as required.
- Prepare and monitor progress of monthly plan and project staff and ensure the quality project implementation based on WP&B, policy, and requirement of CFJ.
- Ensure proper data collection and documentation of information of project beneficiaries including indicator-based data tracking and reporting.
- Validate and consolidate information and provides analysis on data gathered.
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports including case studies, promoting the identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned for project and organizational sharing and learning.
- Ensure evidence-based progress reporting of sponsored children and their families including the data and information of student overall attendance, retention and learning achievement and submit.
- Ensure the conduction trainings and orientation for project stakeholders (rural municipality and ward, school management and head teachers, child clubs, community leaders and parents).
- Coach and mentor team members for efficient and effective implementation of activities through hands on demonstration on how to conduct activities and technical support to subordinates and other team members.
- Ensure establishing saving and credit groups in the project areas, implementing related activities.
- Implement Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) component of the project in the project schools to ensure that the schools are safe and well prepared for unexpected Disaster hazards.
- Implement construction and school governance component of the project in project schools to create child-friendly learning environments.
- Ensure Donor Service (DS) requirements (Reply Letters (RL), Greeting Letters (GLs), Greeting Cards) are submitted by field staff on time.
- Ensure quality of SC photos taken by Field staff.
- Ensure proper documentation of information and provide analysis on data gathered.
- Make decision on SC termination and ensure the timely submission of completely set of documents to CFJ.
- Ensure the implementation of program activities according to Program Operational Manual and project agreement with CFJ.
- Verify basic needs support (medical/ special scholarship) proposals prepared by Field Program Officers and validate information (if required, visit to the family and children directly), prepare proposal, and submit to CFJ.
- Draft annual work plan, budget (WP&B), supplementary plan, and budget (SP&B) as needed.
III. Admin and Finance:
- Ensure all the programs are being implemented and expenditures are being made as per the guideline of CFJ and PRAYAS-Nepal policies and by-laws.
- Verify the goods request, advance request and settlement from Field staff and provide recommendation.
- Verify the financial reports and fund request prepared by AFO and submit it to ED and CFJ.
- Ensures content of draft agreement and Terms of Reference (TOR) prepared by, finalize it and enter the agreement.
- Send on time quarterly remittance request to CFJ.
- Ensure the quality of budget regularization request prepared by AFO and submit it CFJ on time.
- Organize and facilitate monthly and quarterly project staff meeting.
- Supervise implementation of the plan and performance/duties of Field staff.
- Prepare staff development plan of Field staff.
IV. Policy and Law:
- Develop project implementation policies and guidelines to support the needs of children, child club mobilization, support package to children, and child club’s activities.
- Ensure that all the project implementing procedures, guidelines, plans and activities are in line with PRAYAS Nepal’s organizational policies and guidelines.
V. Linkage and Coordination
- Coordinate with district level stakeholders, rural municipalities and ward and thematic offices (includes government line agencies, political parties, other NGOs,) regarding project activities.
- Participate in rural municipality/ward level meetings to influence decision-making.
- Communicate and report to CFJ and ED.
- Ensure field visit management of CFJ.
VI. Human resource management
- Finalize staff JD, appointment letter and conduct annual performance appraisal of staff.
- Prepare and implement human resource development plan for staff.
- Ensure and supervise the performance/ duties of PO, CO, Field staff and AFO.
At all times, the post holder will be responsible for completing other assigned tasks as requested by the Project Manager.
Master’s Degree in Education, Social Work, or Rural Development having more than four years’ experience in the similar positions and roles.
Professional Skills / Requirements
- Previous work experience in similar fields, such as Education, Child Protection, Livelihood, Disaster Risk Reduction and Community Mobilization, etc.
- Knowledge on child rights, protection, disability inclusion, gender equity & social inclusion in education system.
- Experiences in conducting community level engagement activities in collaboration with concern government line agencies and other development actors.
- Experiences in leading the similar project and working with and for the children and their wellbeing.
- Excellent skills on computer and MS applications
- Fluency in written and spoken in English and Nepali languages.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Leadership & organizational skills
- Motorbike driving skills with valid license.
Ihave read the Job Description and agree to undertake the activities and responsibilities specified herein. I also acknowledge that this profile is an indicative indication of job activities and I understand that I may be required to undertake additional tasks as required within the mandate of PRAYAS Nepal and CFJ NO.
A signed copy of this JD has also been given to me.
Interested candidates who meet the criteria should send their cover letter mentioning position applied for and an updated CV to: email@example.com no later than 5 PM on 25th February 2023. PRAYAS Nepal reserves the rights to cancel, postpone or modify the whole recruitment process without providing any reasons whatsoever. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the assessment process.
PRAYAS Nepal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. PRAYAS Nepal considers all applicants on the basis of merit regardless of their race, sex, colour, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. Preference will be given to local candidates and those with experience in related fields.
PRAYAS Nepal and ChildFund Japan Nepal Office are child rights focused organizations, so we need to keep children safe. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the safety and protection of children in all our programs. Therefore, the selected candidates will be subjected to background check.